Sunday 30 June 2013

Dog rose days

Just how dog roses got their name is anyone's guess...that's probably down to the peculiarities of our dear English language....their name does not do justice to their simplicity and beauty. 

They are usually in bloom earlier in the year, but this being a year of late seasons we have the pleasure of spotting them in the hedgerows in July.  They always lift my spirits.  They remind me of childhood days; long walks in the surrounding countryside, from my parents' home. I really did wander quite afar when I think about it, and it's a sad indictment that children seldom do so now...I thought nothing of walking to another village, taking some pocket money to buy a drink and sweets from their village shop, then watching the world go by on a village seat before walking home.  My parents often had no idea where I'd decided to go - I was quite an independent child - and in my own way quite adventurous....I'd usually inform them of where my journey had taken me on my return! 

But I'm digressing....it really gladdens my heart to spot the small roses prettifying our Hampshire hedgerows, and it's heartening to see that despite modern hedge husbandry they are still prolific... 
wild and beautiful    

http://hedgerowmobile.com/dogrose.html

No comments:

Post a Comment